Skip to main content

Darwin


Darwin started feeling poorly about two weeks ago, but up until last Friday he was eating, even though he only wanted treats and no regular food. From Friday last week I noticed that he did not eat at all, and he did not even eat any treats. On Monday last week I took him to the vet who checked him out and did some blood tests. They came back normal, apart from some inflammatory signs, so he got an anti-inflammatory shot and I took him back home. The vet said to give him a week to get better. They did weigh him and he was only 5.5kilos. At the last weigh-in in July he was 7.2kilos. That is a lot of loss in a very short period, as he was fine until around 2weeks ago.

We took him home, and on the Tuesday he did eat a little bit, and he did have a few bits of soft foods on the Wednesday, but then he was back to not eating. I thought it could possibly be something in his mouth as he did try to eat but food just wound not stay in his mouth. We tried to give him some boiled white fish but he could not eat that either even though he did try.

Well, we took Darwin to the vet again yesterday, and the vet is not at all optimistic. He said that because of the blood tests being normal it is very likely that there is a cancer somewhere in his body. So, we are taking him back on Thursday for a scan, and then we will have to make a decision based on what the scan shows if it shows anything.

I have told my husband that my main concern is that he is not in pain. If there is nothing to do about him, and he is not in pain we will bring him home to die. If they think he is uncomfortable then I have said I would rather let him go on Thursday. I am not going to accept having him go through any surgery or treatment at his age and condition. He is almost 14 years old, he is so frail that he seems to find it difficult to walk, he cannot jump up on the table like he used to. He tried the other day to jump up and he slipped back down on the floor. He can jump up and down from sofa and bed, but that is it. He does not eat anything at all, he only drinks and sleeps...he did have a cuddle (ish) with me on the sofa this morning. Well, I kept to his head and chin and very very gently stroked his back just so I did not hurt him. I can imagine that he is feeling sore after loosing so much weight and not being well...just want him to know we are there for him. I will go spend a bit of time on the bed with him later. It is hard not to know how long he has left.

I am not very bothered about doing much around the house and I find it difficult to be inspired to do any stitching at the moment. I am trying to get the model stitch done for Vicki, but that is really as far as I go. I am looking forward to having hubby home for Christmas and New Years. He is working today and tomorrow and Friday, and then he is off until the 2nd January. I am glad he is off on Thursday so he can be there with Darwin. I do not think that I could be dealing with a difficult decision without him.

I am going to make a list of what to do until the move, reading wise (I haven't read a book in months...have to prioritize reading or stitching...don't know why I feel I can only do one or the other...) and stitching wise, plus the packing and planning the move and trying to find a job.

It seems that life is very hard at the moment...I really hope that things will resolve soon...it is difficult enough having to deal with finding a property to move to in Inverness while we are in Orkney, and trying to find a job, and doing the packing, and dealing with stormy weather, and then having Darwin being as ill as he is...











Just look at our gorgeous boy...

Comments

  1. I'm so sorry to hear Darwin is poorly. Hopefully the vet can do something to help him. Fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really hope so, but he did not sound optimistic. Sudden weight loss and no eating can be due to a variety of things, but the fact that he has no umph at all, that he does not fight or even complain when poked and prodded does not make it very likely it is a simple problem. All we can do is hope and pray.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so feeling with you. I hope they will find a solution. So hard to see your sweety like this.
    I also have a boy of 11 years (A norvegian woodcat). Darwin is in my prayers.
    Hugs,
    Mireille

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Refreshing my blog (long time coming)...

Hi, I haven't posted here for a very long time. Towards the end of the last period of blogging I completely lost track of my craftiness and there was just too much going on in life. Now I am finally feeling like myself again, I have started a web shop on Etsy and have started selling my jewellery from a shop in town. I have not yet been brave enough to do a craft fair, but I have my eyes on one in October and then it is a matter of doing some Christmas fairs to get my name out there. Below you can see some of the things I have made, and I will be posting my finished items whatever they may be both on Instagram, Facebook and here, planning on going a bit more in depth here for whoever wants to know more:) So, here we go:) This was a commission, made up of peacock colour freshwater cultured pearl nuggets and silver-plated copper stardust beads and findings. It consists of a ring, ear studs, bracelet and necklace. The lady who ordered it absolutely loves it:) Below are so...

New Year, New Home, New Outlook!

Ok, so I have been very bad with writing on my blog...I am slightly ashamed... I do however have a reason for it...This last year went pear shaped, and I lost myself a bit. Firstly in March, my husband failed his final exam for the first time, causing a lot of stress and worry. Secondly, we lost our gorgeous baby girl Tara, our almost 12 year old GSD...she was in too much pain in her back and back legs, she was dragging her back feet as she had no strength to lift them to walk properly on her pads. This caused her to wear down her claws so much that she was bleeding on one occasion. After this occasion we made sure to walk her only on the side of the road so she could drag her feet on grass instead of asphalt. At the end of April 2014, we sent her across the Rainbow Bridge, to join her friend Darwin whom we lost in December 2012. After this awful event, things were quite tough at home, and as if that was not enough, my husband still had to study and practice for his final exam. He ha...

Slimming World update!

I AM SOOOOOOO HAPPY!!! I lost 6 1/2 pounds, which means I have reached my 1st stone milestone:) I am so surprised but happy...I have gained 1/2pound three weeks in a row because my period was 3weeks late. Now my period has come and gone, and it just shows how much my body is affected by the f***king period...  (and those stars are hiding REA and nothing else...lol) So, tonight it is Nando's dinner...chicken, coleslaw and ratatouille (or perhaps some lovely chips) to celebrate weightloss as well as payday...I do normally let myself enjoy a nice treat of some sorts after my weigh in...that way it is easier to stay on track the rest of the time...:) I am getting on with my Siamese cats, and am about halfway through with the white, and once that is done I am finished and can make them into a cushion cover:)